How your orthopaedic surgeon in The Woodlands, TX, can help when you have a pinched nerve
A pinched nerve can cause a great deal of pain. If a nerve is pinched at your lower spine, it can cause stabbing pain in your legs. If a nerve is pinched in your neck, it can cause pain in your shoulders and arms. The good news is your orthopaedic surgeon is an expert at diagnosis and treatment of pinched nerves. Dr. Thomas Cartwright at Houston Advanced Spine in The Woodlands, TX, provides a wide range of orthopaedic services, including treatment of a pinched nerve.
So, how can you tell if you have a pinched nerve? You may experience:
- A pins and needles type of pain
- Pain that radiates into other areas of your body
- Numbness or weakness in a part of your body
You can develop a pinched nerve in multiple areas of your body, including your:
- Wrists, hands, or fingers
- Shoulders or arms
- Back, torso, or neck
- Legs, knees, or feet
You are more likely to develop a pinched nerve if you have:
- A herniated disc
- A job or activity which requires repetitive motion
Your orthopaedic surgeon will determine the cause of your pinched nerve using nerve function and other tests. After the cause has been diagnosed, your orthopaedic surgeon may recommend non-invasive treatments like these:
- Prescription strength anti-inflammatory medication to reduce inflammation
- Applying alternating ice and heat to reduce swelling
- Massaging the muscles in the area to stimulate blood flow and relax your muscles
- Physical therapy to increase range of motion, flexibility, and mobility
If non-invasive treatments don’t provide the relief you need, your orthopaedic surgeon may recommend a nerve block to reduce pain. In severe cases, surgery may be recommended. Your orthopaedic surgeon can discuss this option with you.
To learn more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of a pinched nerve, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Thomas Cartwright, orthopaedic surgeon at Houston Advanced Spine in The Woodlands, TX. You can reach him in the office by calling (281) 305-9533, so call now.